Friday, February 27, 2009

Getting Ready For Baby... physically and mentally...


The last 3 weeks has been exhausting... though I am in my 2nd trimester and known to be the best time out of the whole pregnancy, work has taken a toil on me both physically and mentally.

1st of all I was due for confirmation on my new job on 17 Feb 09 which would mark my 3rd month with Media Monitors. I have been working hard and performing my duties to my best ability (despite my 1st trimester syndromes) and appraised as 'meeting expectations' for my probation period - and that was clearly appraised during the discussion. However suddenly towards the end of my appraisal session, my supervisor in charge said that he wants to extend my probation by another 2 months in view that I have not closed any deals. Although my job as new business development entails this KPI but however this was not a mandatory stated outright when I first started work that I MUST CLOSE DEAL WITHIN MY FIRST 3 MONTHS PROBATION OR I WONT BE CONFIRMED! In fact before I signed my appointment letter and negotiating for more pay at that time, - my prospective boss even say [quote] I don't expect you to close any deals during the 1st 3 months being with us, so I am willing to pay you $1K more per month for the 1st 3 months so that you can start earning your commissions from the 4th month moving forward [unquote].

I was thrown into depression... suddenly my world seemed so bleak. With my tummy enormously showing.... and upcoming expenses for baby on the way.... how can i lose my job now???!?!?! It is not fair...! This is plain-outright bullying! Discrimination...and the worst thing is there is NOTHING I can do about it! It's either take it or leave it lor. For days coming I was really depressed and really quiet in the office. I was moody, sad and feel that my boss is nothing but a hypocrite. I tried to bury my time with work to keep from thinking too hard whilst my hubby went to help me check with MOM and lawyers about any possibility of making the best out of this discrimination.

Lucky for me, meetings and requests for quotations came along and work kept my head busy and occupied. Over that whole week, we spoke to parents who are very supportive of whatever decisions that we eventually make. Through this incident, it brought even more closeness and assurance i have for my hubby who was relentlessly finding out for me what are the odds if I quit now and fight for my rights, vs staying on the job and getting bullied by this arrangement.

Then on 25 Feb (Wed) the car dealer called and say my new car is ready for collection and that my new car number has been registered and confirmed! New car number is 6690B wowweeee!!!! that definitely cheered me up alot since 6 and 9 are my favourite numbers!

On thursday 27 Feb evening I collected my new 1.5L Mitsubitshi EX Sports after a gruelling 3 month wait! I bade my old Mits Lancer GLX 1.6L SFJ6925T car bye bye and drove off with my new car with parents and niece trooped inside :) My Hubs followed behind in his car and we went for a good dinner at Tampines St 11 where I bumped into Jacqueline and her new hubby who looked about 50+ years old. She was quick to avoid us and pretended not to see us and hurried off. hmmmmmmm.......... why ley hah??

By end of the week, I have more or less decided to keep this job ... at least for the next two months and pray that they will confirm me after that. Afterall, for the sake of my baby, I need to sacrifice all these hardships to make sure we have enuf to provide for her comfortably.

This incident over the last whole week definitely put my mind and body to the test. Not only was I physically exhausted from the work that kept me really running around, my mind was equally if not extremely tired from the sadness and anger.

I realised it is meant to teach me to be strong... or stronger so that I am ready to protect my children and family and my own rights.

At 22 weeks preggie, I now weigh 76.9kg (last weight was 75.7kg - 9 days ago). Legs getting pretty heavy and back ache is really killing me every day. Lower tummy is also aching quite bad from the ligament stretch... but nothing really beats the stress and emotional roller coaster I faced this week... thank goodness for the weekend!