Thursday, July 31, 2008

Discipline Is For Your Own Good

I grew up with values deeply instilled in me about respect and fillial piety. Nothing matters more than to ensure we repay our parents' love and dedication they have put in to bring us up to what we are today. Everyone has a different background and different style of being brought up.

Whilst I grew up in an environment where fear of being punished was always the first thing that made me stay out of trouble, as I grew older, these disciplines became part of me. Dad was the one that talks to me and make me think through the rights and wrong, mum was the one that just yelled or scold when I didn't do exactly what she wants. Now looking back, I am grateful to my parents for the strict upbringing I was put through - because without that, I wouldn't have been a person with strong EQ to get by everyday.

I have been fortunate to meet my hubby who by comparison got even more strict upbringing than I did (so he claimed)... well it was almost on par honestly... so with two persons ever so prim and proper and ever so polite, wouldn't you think we are the weirdiest people on earth? hahahah! Well, at least I knew I wasn't the only one that went through crazy strict upbringing!

Even at work, I was not spared. My mentor - the first boss I ever worked for was ferocious lady creature. She would screamed at me when I don't get my basic job done right and everyday I shiver when I hear her shrill voice lace through the air when I knew I didn't do my work up to her expectation. However, behind the fierce temper, was someone who also cared for my well-being and growth. Once work is over, she would buy me dinner to reward me for the hard work put in, and sometimes when I work past 9p.m, she will gently remind me to go home early for a good night's rest. She kept me on my toes, and thanks to her, I learnt the complicated ways of planning with back-ups as contingencies. I have learnt to draw the line between work and personal friendship.

I looked back and think, discipline may be harsh at that point of time, but through time, it was all done for the sake of making me a better person.

To all those people who have mentored me, taught me and nurtured me, thank you......I am sure the time put in to teach me has not been wasted. It will forever be engraved in my life as part of me and my personality.